Self-hypnosis is a meditative activity that aids in relieving stress and anxiety. It also aids in boosting self-esteem and confidence. With this practice you have heightened state of focused concentration and as a result you easily change your thinking, take control of the person you are, and kick bad habits.
- For you to practice self-hypnosis you need to find a quiet place with very few mental distractions. You should also ensure that you have the right clothing on. As rule of thumb you should ensure that the clothes are well fitting and don’t prevent blood from circulating properly in the body.
- For ideal results, you should prepare a list of affirmations. Here you should ensure that the affirmations are positive and relate to the problem, circumstance, or issue that you want to be solved. For example, if you want to stop smoking, you can say something like, “I don’t want to smoke” or “cigarettes are not healthy to me.”
- To get rid of any feelings of fear, stress or anxiety, it’s recommended that you close your eyes. It’s normal to have your thoughts intruding whenever you try to concentrate, but when this happens you should not give up. You should focus on the thoughts for some time and then let them slip away.
- Once you have attained the concentration, you should recognize the tension in your body. Here you should begin from your toes and imagine the tension slowly falling away and vanishing. You should visualize each part of your body becoming lighter then relax your toes and your feet.
- You should continue to your hips, thighs, calves, and stomach until your entire body is fully relaxed.
- When visualizing your body you should take slow breaths. Here you should exhale and see the tension and negativity leaving your body.
- You should then appreciate the fact that you are relaxed. Here you need to imagine yourself at the top of a flight of 10 stairs then picture yourself descending the stairs one at a time. As you take each step, you should imagine the feel of the step under your feet.
- When you get to the fifth step, you should imagine yourself stepping into an oasis of purity and cleanliness.
- As you continue descending the stairs you should have a floating sensation. When you attain this sensation, you should proceed and address your problems using the affirmations. When addressing the problems you should speak in the present and future tenses.
- You should continue repeating your affirmations and picture yourself achieving your goals. You should do this for 15-20 minutes. Once the time is over you should now prepare yourself to exit the hypnotic state. Here you should start ascending the stairs.
As you take each step you should be able to feel the water becoming lower and lower until you are completely out of the water. Once you are completely out of the water you may feel that you are heavy on your chest. Here you should take a break and repeat the affirmations then go up the stairs up to the 10th one.