Meditation is a great way of attaining inner peace and focus. For you to meditate properly you need to first prepare to meditate. Here you need to choose a peaceful environment that is free of any distraction.
- The best way is to lock yourself in your bedroom and turn off the TV set, phone and any noisy appliance that might distract you. It’s also recommended that you switch off any music; however, if you insist that you must use the music, you should use calm music that won’t be distractive.
- If you don’t have any calm music in your collection you should consider turning on a small water fountain.
- In addition to choosing a calm area, you should also wear comfortable clothing. To be on the safe side you should wear loose clothing. You should also not forget to remove your shoes. If you will be practicing in a cool area, you should wear a sweater that will protect you from cold.
- Before you begin your meditation, ensure that you stretch out. You should remember that meditation involves a lot of sitting in one spot for a long time; therefore, you should stretch out in order to minimize any tension that you might be having.
- If you have been sitting in front of the computer for a long time, ensure that you stretch your neck, shoulders, and lower back. You should also stretch your inner thigh.
- For ideal meditation, ensure that you close your eyes. If you are finding it hard to concentrate with your eyes open, you should consider meditating with your eyes open, but practice in a dimly lit room.
- When you attain your desired concentration, you should follow your breathing. Here you should pick a spot above your navel and focus on it.
- When you pick the spot you should avoid thinking about your breathing; you should simply focus on your breathing. For ideal results it’s recommended that you have a mental picture of the rising and falling of your navel.
- Other than concentrating on your breathing, you should also consider repeating a mantra. Here you need to repeat a sound, phrase or a word over and over again until you attain the peace that you need. A great way of going about it is repeating short words such as peace, tranquil, calm, and silence.
- Visual objects have also been shown to play a major role in helping you to meditate properly; therefore, you should use them in your meditation. Some of the great objects that you can use are: flowers, crystals, and pictures of statues. For ideal results you should place the object at eye level so that you don’t have to strain your head and neck to view it. Once you are able to view it, you should gaze at it until your peripheral vision starts to dim.
These are the tips on how to meditate properly. If you want to meditate and you feel exhausted, sore, or tired, you should try to do something relaxing. For example, you can walk, run, or shower.